Enlarged pores or an “orange peel” like look to the skin on the face is a common concern as we’re faced with intrinsic aging and chronic sun damage. Your pore size is determined by genetics and can’t be changed, however, there are steps we can take to minimize the look of the pores and improve the overall look of our face.
WHAT IS “ORANGE PEEL” SKIN
The combination of dehydration and poor cell turnover contribute to this look on the nose and cheeks. Cell buildup around the pores enhances the shadows and makes the pores appear larger while dehydration adds a cellophane-like sheen to the skin, enhancing a rough texture and pore appearance.
Orange peel skin on the chin can be more dramatic with textural changes and pitting. Horizontal lines on the chin can develop at the mental crease (the horizontal line that forms on the chin below the lower lip). Laxity of the mid to lower face can increase the visibility of deep mental creases on the chin.
IMPROVEMENTS AT HOME
Plumping the skin, correcting dehydration, and removing dead skin cells that enhance the look of the pores and skin texture requires a task force of skin care products. Tried and true retinol and glycolic acid will help transform the look of orange peel skin, but need the additional support of sun care and hydration.
- Retinol (found in Rapid Renewal Serum and Revit-A-Lift) encourages healthy cell regeneration and epidermal thickening that helps reduce pore appearance and dehydration.
- Glycolic acid removes dead skin cells and encourages hydration of the skin to reduce the look of lines, minimize pore appearance, and prevent cell buildup that contributes to dehydration.
- Hyaluronic acid (found in Rest-N-Restore) helps plump skin cells, reduce dehydration, and minimize pore appearance.
- Vitamin C provides antioxidant support for the skin, influences collagen synthesis, and helps reduce photosensitivity caused by retinol and glycolic.
- Suncreen is your #1 anti-aging product and should be used daily to help prevent premature aging and skin cancer.
This combination of treatments can visibly improve the overall look of the skin, smooth texture, and minimize the appearance of pores, but it cannot change your pore size or dramatically lift your skin (but keep reading).
Light facial peels, microdermabrasion, and ultrasonic treatments can all help improve the look of orange peel skin and amplify the results you’re working towards with your home regimen.
- Facial peels remove a very superficial layer of dead skin to smooth texture, reduce shadowing of lines and wrinkles, and enlarged pores.
- Microdermabrasion removes dead skin cells and amplifies the penetration of topically applied skin care products.
- Ultrasonic cavitation removes dead skin cells and helps remove blackheads and whiteheads. Ultrasonic penetration of hyaluronic acid hydrates and helps plump skin cells to improve skin texture, suppleness, and reduce pore appearance.
Routine facial treatments with a skin care professional should be done every 4 to 6 weeks to amplify results. These procedures paired with a beneficial home regimen help prevent premature aging, prolong the benefits of medical procedures, and improve the overall health and wellness of the skin.
INJECTIONS & LASER
Orange peel skin with pitting or creases can be corrected with a combination of medical aesthetic procedures. Facial injections and laser can improve aging skin concerns by facilitating collagen and elastin synthesis, reducing laxity, and smoothing wrinkles.
- A neurotoxin (Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin) can be injected sparingly in the mentalis muscle of the chin to help relax muscle contractions that contribute to pitting of the area.
- Dermal fillers can be injected at the mental crease to reduce the appearance of the line and improve the look of the chin.
- Dermal fillers can also be used to add volume to nasolabial folds (laugh lines) that may also contribute to an improved look of the face and draw the eye away from the lower face.
- For advanced signs of aging with laxity, dermal fillers can be injected at the cheekbone to restore volume and youthful-looking apples to the cheeks. This lifting helps diminish the look of under eye bags and lift the jowls for a more youthful appearance while reducing shadowing of the chin.
- Profractional laser procedure(s) improve skin texture and help firm the skin over time to help reduce laxity of the lower face and improve your look.
Any combination of filler can be performed to help you achieve your desired look. Routine facial treatments and your home regimen complete the rejuvenation of orange peel skin and maintain your results from these procedures.